There are many myths and perils in the ruling recovery culture of 12 step programs and treatment centers. I want you to be able to see through these, and avoid the dangers, so this page will be our knowledge base for that. A library of all the common knowledge of the recovery culture in debunked form. Here’s why it’s important: the only obstacle standing between you and a life free of substance abuse is misinformation – when you can see through all the myths and lies, then you can act rationally to solve your problem.
Big Addiction Myths
- Addiction as a Brain Disease
- Psychological Determinism (this is a technical philosophical on an advanced concept pertaining to the brain disease model of addiction)
- Addiction As An Allergy – Loss of Control
- Do Alcoholics Lose Control? The Results of Priming Dose Experiments Say NO
- Do drug addicts Lose Control of their drug use?
- Denial: The Anti-Concept
- Nobody would freely choose costly/risky behaviors such as heavy substance use
- Moderation Management should be dismissed as dangerous because the founder got into a drunk driving accident
- Co-occurring disorders make it harder to recovery (anxiety, depression, etc)