Check this statement from Tazewell County Virginia’s Commonwealth Attorney:
“If you take away drug addiction, it would put us out of a job,” Lee said. “About 80 percent of crimes committed are related to drugs.”
About the author, Steven Slate
I'm a Research Associate at Baldwin Research Institute, where I develop new lessons and educational programs for people with substance use problems. I have almost 15 years experience studying addiction, and 5 years experience as a patient in the addiction treatment system and recovery culture before that.
SOME OF MY BELIEFS:
- I DO NOT believe that "addicts" are "weak willed," or that quitting takes willpower, or that willpower is involved in addiction in any way whatsoever.
- I DO NOT believe that "addicts" are especially immoral as opposed to "non-addicts." I make no wide ranging moral judgments about "addicts." Nor do I think they are "bad."
- I DO NOT believe that substance use per se is immoral or bad, nor that heavy substance use is necessarily immoral or bad either.
- I DO NOT believe that anyone should be jailed for drug use, possession, or dealing.
- I DO believe all drugs should be fully legalized and freely traded amongst adults with no barriers to access, and no permission from doctors needed in any way.
- I DO NOT believe that "addicts" should be treated coldly.
- I DO believe "addicts" should be treated with the same compassion everyone should be treated with.
- I DO believe it is possible to help "addicts", but that the currently popular methods mostly hurt people.
- I DO NOT believe that anyone who enjoys AA/NA should leave it. I DO NOT make it my mission to reach out to people who are happy with that and tell them to leave. I have literally never done that.
- I DO believe that regardless of the fact that I took the time to state these things clearly, people will still scroll right down to that comment box and accuse me of the opposite beliefs. Read More…
- Some people don’t quit drugs. It doesn’t mean they can’t quit.
- Intervention Promises More Addiction Misinformation in 2017
- Mail: Discourse with a budding addiction counselor.
- Euthanasia for Addiction? A logical choice built on a false premise.
- Pathologizing Partying
- Steven Slate’s TEDx Talk Tahoe City